Jamie Fargen's Weblog

RHCE 7 Begin Here

by on Nov.06, 2016, under Cert, RHCE, Training

The RHCE 7 is a comprehensive exam, Red Hat provides the exam objectives. I have copied the objectives to a seperate page, each objective will link to its own page covering that objective and the easiest/quickest/dirtiest way to address it.

But before you can begin you need to configure some virtual machines.

In my case I am running OS X + VirtualBox. In this case virtualbox gives me the flexibility I need to run multiple Linux VMs. Vbox has a snapshotting feature which will allow me to recover from a faulty configuration. In addition Vbox is a very mature product.

I have two RHEL7 (substitute CentOSY if you do not have access to RHEL7 with little worries) virtual machines, configured with 1 processor, 1GB RAM, 8GB storage, and 3 network adapters.

You might ask why there are three network adapters? This is not very unusual, you usually have a management interfaces, we will use the other two interfaces for a team (think bonded) interface, which is also the first exam objective.

Here is a screenshot of the first network adapter interface, as you can see it is a NAT interface, I also setup some port forwarding rules so I can run the VM headless and ssh directly from my terminal of choice in OS X.

Here is a screen shot of the second interface, the third interface should have the same network and config.

After the network is configured you can install the RHEL7 OS. After the OS is installed you should take a snapshot, then update the OS and take a snapshot, then you can begin the first exam objective. After you successfully complete an objective, take a snapshot, so you can recover from any issues you encounter.