Jamie Fargen's Weblog

February 5k: I Will Inspire

by on Mar.18, 2014, under Uncategorized

In January I began a fitness regime to include running and I plan on running a 5k every month. In February I enrolled in the I Will Inspire 5k. It was a little difficult because I was getting over a cold and had not run in several weeks. This 5k was a little weird and kind of disorganized. It started approximately 30 minutes later than scheduled, not sure if it was a weather issue and they just didn’t communicate that they were waiting for a squall to pass. After waiting for about 20 minutes it started to rain, fortunately the starting line was by a Fire Station, that was apparently part of the event. They let us stand in the Fire Station Garage, the rain lasted about 10 minutes. After it passed the race started.

The first mile went pretty well, but then I started to fade quickly, when I hit the ever so slightest hill it really drained my energy. About 2.5 miles in my friend took off, I guess I was going to slow for him, then I walked for about 2 minutes. After catching my breath I jogged the rest of the way, actually sprinting prett well for the last 150-200 meters, with a finishing time of 34:37.

I definitely need more work, it is 10 minutes longer than my best 5k time.

Here is a link to the I Will Inspire results.